Sunday, February 20, 2011

JENNIFER JONES IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING




"For those who believe in God, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible"

SONG OF BERNADETTE


Here is a very special item that I was recently lucky to acquire. It is a Jennifer Jones headdress worn in "The Song of Bernadette" made at Fox
studios in 1943 and directed by Henry King.






The headdress is made of beige wool with a simple red threaded trim. It is worn by Jones as "Bernadette" when she first sees the Virgin Mary and then seen throughout remainder of film. Costumes were designed by Sam Benson.



The Song of Bernadette tells the story of Saint Bernadette Soubirous, who, from February to July 1858 in Lourdes, France, reported 18 visions of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

The costume piece can be seen in many scenes in the film.



It also appears on the poster art for the film and was used in the famous Norman Rockwell painting of the same name.










I was also lucky enough to obtain a Jennifer Jones Golden Globe nomination certificate for "The Song of Bernadette," 1943. Presented to the star by the Hollywood Foreign Correspondents Association; reading in part "First Annual Award for the Best Performance of 1943 By an Actress
Miss Jennifer Jones A 20th Century Fox Production. This was the first year for the Golden Globes and Jones did win in her category.



Jennifer Jones has appeared in many memorable films including "Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing" (1955) and Duel in the Sun (1946).





Other notable films included Since You Went Away (1944), Madame Bovary (1949), Carrie (1952), Ruby Gentry (1952), Beat the Devil (1953),Good Morning Miss Dove (1955), and The Towering Inferno (1974).





Jennifer Jones was also married to actor Robert Walker and to producer David O. Selznick.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm a fellow movie blogger, and my friend Page recommended your site. So I'm surfing around it, and what a marvelous collection you have -- believe it or not, with all the gorgeous costumes, this one caught my eye in a special way. I love St. Bernadette herself, and thought this movie was just wonderful, and very factual, as I learned. Jones' veil is quite a coup for your collection.

    However, since I adore movie costumes, I'll be enjoying as many as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for the nice reply. This is one of my favourite pieces as well! It has always been a film favourite of mine and as simple as the piece is, it is one of the most inspiring pieces I have for many reasons. Plus it was saved from the film by Jennifer Jones herself and came from her family late last year. I'm glad you love it and the blog. Keep checking back! I'm off to check yours! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete